Wednesday, September 16, 2015

BADAM PURI | BADAM PURI RECIPE

As a kid when someone gave me "Badam Puri" I used to search where exactly the 'badam' was. Only later did I realize that Badam Puri does not mean Puris made out of Badam! These things seem very silly now when I think, but back then it was some serious doubt you see :)

My uncle is a very good chef. He makes yummy and easy to make badam puris. This recipe I have learnt from him. Usually we go to our hometown to celebrate the fest. This time because of some reasons we are staying back and celebrating the festival in Bangalore. So, I wanted to make some sweet dish for us. I am someone who thinks festival means it’s meant to ‘EAT’ well. Also, unless there is a sweet dish entry in the menu, the celebrations don’t set in!

This recipe, that I have learnt from my uncle..I thought of sharing it with you all. It took me an hour and a half along with photo shoots in between. Otherwise, it can be done in an hour. It’s light and I don’t dare to say it’s healthy! :) That’s just OK sometimes!!

Ingredients
  • 4 cups Maida
  • Oil to fry
  • Dry Coconut for garnishing
  • 3 cups Sugar
  • Saffron/Turmeric powder
  • Cardamom powder

 Method:

Keep all the ingredients handy so that you don't have to waste time searching for it.


To this maida flour, add a table spoon of heated oil. This gives crispiness to the puris that we will be making. Adding water little by little bring the dough to chapati dough consistency
.

Knead the dough and set it aside for about ten minutes.


Meanwhile, add three cups of sugar and half part of it water, pinch of turmeric or saffron if available, cardamom powder and set it on a low flame for the making of sugar syrup. A thick bottomed aluminum vessel is recommend.


Now the dough is ready. Roll the dough in the shapes as per the image shown.


Deep fry the puris until its golden brown in color on both the sides. Use medium flame as the puri will take some time to be properly ready.


Once you are done with deep frying, soak the puris in the sugar syrup for about 10 minutes. DO NOT keep in the syrup for more than 10 minutes. Make sure the sugar syrup is warm and the flame off. After removing from the sugar syrup, garnish with grated dry coconut and Badami Puri is ready to be served.

**********
Try this and I hope you will enjoy it! I wish you all a very happy Gowri Ganesha festival. Take care.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice. For garnishing roasted kaskas along with grated dry coconut for better punch. Presentation beautiful Divya keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your page on FB after looking at the last pic. Then I realized the blog is your's :) keep writing. Will try this and let you know .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swara thanku so much! :) sure try an enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely presentation and thank you for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete